- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 pounds (900 g) well marbled chuck beef roast, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large onion)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 pint (16 ounces, 475 ml) Guinness extra stout (make sure you use extra stout and not draught)
- 3 cups (700 ml) beef broth
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3-4 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound (280 g) celery root, potatoes, or young turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- Brown the beef, transfer to slow cooker: Heat the butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Brown the beef in the butter, starting with the fattiest pieces of meat, fat side down in the pan. This will allow some beef fat to render out. Work in batches as to not crowd the pan. Sprinkle salt over the beef as it browns. Once browned on all sides, transfer the beef pieces into the slow cooker.
- Sauté onions and celery, transfer to slow cooker: Add the onions and celery to the pan in which you just browned the beef. Sauté the onions and celery until they begin to brown at the edges, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and mix well. Cook for a minute or two, then add a little of the Guinness, enough to make it easier for you to scrape up any browned bits at the bottom of the pan. Transfer the celery and onions into the slow cooker.
- Add Guinness, broth, root vegetables, thyme, salt: Add the rest of the Guinness, the beef broth, carrots, parsnips, celery root, and thyme to the slow cooker. Add two teaspoons of salt.
- Cook in slow cooker: Cover and cook on "high" for 4 hours, or "low" for 8 hours. When done, add more salt to taste. If you want, sprinkle with fresh parsley to serve.
You may also like
Veal Goulash with Sauerkraut Veal cooked with onions, tomatoes, and served with a paprika sour cream sauce over sauerkraut. Also known as Szegedine Goulasch, an Austrian goulash. New England Boiled Dinner New England boiled dinner, a one pot dish consisting of corned beef or plain brisket, cabbage, carrots and potatoes. Irish Beef Stew Beef stew recipe made with beef, garlic, stock, Irish Guinness beer, red wine, potatoes, carrots, and onions. An excellent, hearty stew. Carbonnade Beef and Beer Stew Carbonnade Belgian beef stew recipe, with beef, onions, and Belgian ale, and seasoned with bay and thyme.