- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat (don't trim all the fat, just large pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped, about 2 cups
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbsp)
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 fresh lemon, thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole cumin seed (or 1 teaspoon ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seed (or 1/4 teaspoon ground)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups medium packed parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 cups medium packed cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt the chicken thighs: Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt over the chicken thighs. Let sit while you prep the other ingredients.
- Whisk the spices together: Whisk together the spices in a small bowl—the paprika, ground ginger, ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, allspice, crushed fennel seeds, and nutmeg.
- Layer onions, chicken, spices, garlic, olives, raisins, lemon slices in slow cooker: Place chopped onions at the bottom of a slow cooker bowl. Layer the chicken thighs on top of the onions. As you layer the chicken thighs, sprinkle them all over with the spice mix. (Use all of the spice mix.) Add the garlic, green olives, raisins, and lemon slices.
- Cook in slow cooker: Cook on the high setting of the slow cooker for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or 4 to 5 hours on the low setting (depending on your slow cooker brand). Towards the end of cooking, stir so that the lemons olives and raisins get mixed into the liquid. The chicken is done when it is fall apart tender. Serve with couscous or rice (use rice if cooking gluten-free). Garnish with fresh cilantro and/or parsley.
You may also like
Chicken Mulligatawny Soup Easy chicken mulligatawny curry soup, with chicken thighs, carrot, onion, celery, apple, stock, curry, rice, and cream Chipotle Salsa Baked Chicken Chicken breasts or thighs, smothered in chipotle salsa, topped with Monterey jack cheese, and baked. Slow Cooker Chicken Rice Casserole Slow cooker chicken rice casserole with basmati rice, tomatoes, onions, chicken thighs Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken Don't have a tagine? Make Moroccan chicken in a slow cooker, it's easy! Chicken thighs, plenty of spices, onions, green olives, lemons, raisins, cooked low and slow until fall apart tender.