- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (olive oil is fine if you don't have coconut)
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 tablespoons grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 15-ounce cans pumpkin purée (or 4 cups homemade puree)
- 1 15-oz can coconut milk, shaken
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth (plus up to one cup more, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Hot chili powder, to serve (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro, to serve (optional)
- Coconut milk yogurt, to serve (optional)
- 3-quart or larger slow cooker
- Immersion blender (or blender or food processor)
- Slow cooker or Instant Pot on the slow cook setting
- Sauté the vegetables: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and warm the coconut oil. Add the carrot, onion, and celery and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes until the onions start to become translucent. Stir often to avoid browning. Add the ginger, garlic, and bay leaves and sauté for another couple of minutes.
- Combine the sautéed veggies, pumpkin puree, coconut milk, vegetable broth, and salt in a 3-quart or larger slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 1/2 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and use an immersion blender to purée the soup until very smooth. Alternatively, puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Add extra stock if you'd like a thinner soup. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- To serve: I like to sprinkle on some hot Thai chili powder, fresh cilantro, and swirl in some coconut milk yogurt.
You may also like
Lamb Shanks with Butternut Squash Rich and hearty lamb shank and butternut squash stew, served with parsley, garlic, and lemon gremolata. Glazed Baked Ham Perfect for holiday entertaining! Glazed baked ham with sweet-hot-honey-mustard or honey-thyme glaze. Red Beans and Rice A Southern classic, red beans cooked with smoked shanks, onions, celery, bell peppers, and spices, served over rice. Greek Lamb Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce Grilled lamb burgers with homemade tzatziki cucumber sauce! Top with feta, sliced tomato, lettuce, and red onion. Easy summer cook-out recipe.