- 2 Tbsp bacon fat, lard or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced from root to tip
- 1 ham hock
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1-2 cups water
- 8-10 cups chopped collard greens, about 2 pounds
- Vinegar and hot sauce to taste
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3 cups of turkey stock (that you make in step...)
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup cream
- Heat the bacon fat in a large pot set over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion in the bacon fat, stirring often, until the edges begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the ham hock, smashed garlic, chicken stock and water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 1 hour.
- Add the collard greens to the pot and cook until tender, another 45 minutes to an hour.
- To serve, fish out the ham hock, pull the meat off the bones and chop. Mix the meat back with the greens and serve with vinegar and hot sauce at the table.
You may also like
Pot Roast Beef pot roast recipe, slow cooked on stove top or in oven with onion, garlic, carrots, and red wine. Slow cooking on low heat practically ensures a tender pot roast from the tougher beef chuck or shoulder roast cut. Turkey Tetrazzini Turkey tetrazzini recipe, a turkey casserole with egg noodles, mushrooms, peas, Parmesan and Swiss cheeses, cream, bread crumbs and turkey. Tuna Macaroni Salad Family favorite tuna macaroni salad, made with canned tuna, elbow macaroni pasta, bell peppers, parsley, green onion, iceberg lettuce, and mayonnaise. Cheesy Skillet Cornbread Cornbread packed with cheese, onions, whole corn, and flavored with bacon drippings. Cooked in a cast iron skillet.