- 2 Tbsp bacon fat, lard or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced from root to tip
- 1 ham hock
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1-2 cups water
- 8-10 cups chopped collard greens, about 2 pounds
- Vinegar and hot sauce to taste
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3 cups of turkey stock (that you make in step...)
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup cream
- Heat the bacon fat in a large pot set over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion in the bacon fat, stirring often, until the edges begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the ham hock, smashed garlic, chicken stock and water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 1 hour.
- Add the collard greens to the pot and cook until tender, another 45 minutes to an hour.
- To serve, fish out the ham hock, pull the meat off the bones and chop. Mix the meat back with the greens and serve with vinegar and hot sauce at the table.
You may also like
Beef Stroganoff Tender strips of beef and mushrooms cooked in sour cream and served over noodles make up this classic beef stroganoff recipe. Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes. So easy and stress-free! A game changer on Thanksgiving and the holidays. 4 hours cooking time. Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheese Perfect comfort food! Cheesy mac and cheese with sharp cheddar, parmesan, and broccoli. Mom’s Stuffed Bell Peppers Perfect comfort food! Bell peppers stuffed with ground beef, rice, and herbs, and baked in the oven.