- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1-inch thick slice of crusty bread, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, chopped or slivered (can substitute hazelnuts, peeled)
- 5-6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can of crushed tomatoes, or canned whole tomatoes (including the juice) that have been de-seeded, or 1 pound fresh tomatoes that have been par-boiled, skins removed, and de-seeded
- 1 8-ounce jar of roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika (preferred) or sweet paprika
- 2-3 Tbsp sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
For the chicken:
- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in with skin
- 4 drumsticks, bone-in with skin
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat the olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, sauté the bread and almonds, stirring often, until they just begin to brown. Add the garlic and sauté another 1-2 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Place the contents of the sauté pan into a food processor with the remaining ingredients—salt, tomatoes, roasted bell peppers, smoked paprika, vinegar. Purée until smooth. Spread the sauce out on a rimmed sheet pan and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the edges begin to caramelize. Allow to cool and scrape into a container to store. To use romesco sauce, mix with pasta, shrimp, chicken or vegetables either before or after they are cooked, much like you would a pesto. Kept in a sealed container, Romesco sauce will last for a week or more in the fridge. It freezes well, too.
You may also like
Caramel Sauce Classic smooth, creamy, and delicious caramel sauce recipe. Made with sugar, butter, and cream. Champagne Mushroom Sauce A fancy sauce made with leftover sparkling wine, dried mushrooms and stock that is wonderful with chicken or turkey. Make-Ahead Alfredo Sauce Make-ahead alfredo cheese sauce! Ready in 10 minutes. Keeps for a week in the fridge and reheats quickly. Toss with pasta or serve over vegetables, potatoes, fish, or chicken. Lemon-Garlic Butter Sauce for Seafood Lemon-garlic butter sauce, perfect for fish, shrimp, scallops.