- 2 1/2 to 3 lbs of bone-in pork spareribs
- 2 Tbps vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large (28 oz) jar (or 1 1/2 to 2 pounds) of sauerkraut (refrigerated)
- 1 cup dry white wine (like a Sauvignon blanc)
- Salt and pepper
- 10 Juniper berries
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3 cups of turkey stock (that you make in step...)
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup cream
- Brown the ribs: Separate the ribs, and sprinkle them with salt. Heat vegetable oil in a large heavy pot on medium high heat. Add the ribs and brown them.
- Sauté onions and garlic: Remove the ribs from the pot and add the chopped onion to the pot. Sauté the onions for 3 minutes. Then add the minced garlic for a minute more. Return the ribs to the pot.
- Add sauerkraut, wine, juniper berries, caraway seeds: Add the sauerkraut and wine to the pot. Add just enough water to cover the ribs. Add 10 juniper berries and a sprinkle of caraway seed to taste.
- Simmer until meat is falling off the bones: Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer until the meat falls off of the bones, anywhere from one to two hours. Remove the bones and juniper berries. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with boiled potatoes. Delicious with ketchup which creates a sweet contrast to the sour sauerkraut, or you can use whole grain mustard.
You may also like
Fancy Hot Dogs Hot dog slices sautéed in butter with onions, with a sour cream sauce. Served with pasta. Cheese Tacos Simple and easy cheese tacos recipe, made with corn tortillas, fried in a little butter, folded over grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese. Also known as quesadillas. Bean and Bacon Soup Classic bean and bacon soup with white beans, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and plenty of bacon! Black Bean Soup Hearty black bean soup with ham hocks, sweet potatoes, bell pepper, onion, cumin, chili, and molasses. Garnish with cilantro, sour cream, and avocado.