- 2 1/2 to 3 lbs of bone-in pork spareribs
- 2 Tbps vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large (28 oz) jar (or 1 1/2 to 2 pounds) of sauerkraut (refrigerated)
- 1 cup dry white wine (like a Sauvignon blanc)
- Salt and pepper
- 10 Juniper berries
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3 cups of turkey stock (that you make in step...)
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup cream
- Brown the ribs: Separate the ribs, and sprinkle them with salt. Heat vegetable oil in a large heavy pot on medium high heat. Add the ribs and brown them.
- Sauté onions and garlic: Remove the ribs from the pot and add the chopped onion to the pot. Sauté the onions for 3 minutes. Then add the minced garlic for a minute more. Return the ribs to the pot.
- Add sauerkraut, wine, juniper berries, caraway seeds: Add the sauerkraut and wine to the pot. Add just enough water to cover the ribs. Add 10 juniper berries and a sprinkle of caraway seed to taste.
- Simmer until meat is falling off the bones: Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer until the meat falls off of the bones, anywhere from one to two hours. Remove the bones and juniper berries. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with boiled potatoes. Delicious with ketchup which creates a sweet contrast to the sour sauerkraut, or you can use whole grain mustard.
You may also like
Turkey Tetrazzini Turkey tetrazzini recipe, a turkey casserole with egg noodles, mushrooms, peas, Parmesan and Swiss cheeses, cream, bread crumbs and turkey. Split Pea Soup Classic split pea soup. Dried split peas are cooked with water and ham hocks, onions, garlic, and leeks. Filling, hearty winter soup. Apple Coffee Cake Apple Coffee Cake that's quick, easy, and delicious! Perfect for a Sunday brunch or with your morning coffee. Turkey Noodle Casserole Turkey noodle casserole with egg noodles, leftover turkey, shallots, celery, and a white sauce with Gruyere, mustard, and tarragon.