- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Vegetable oil (canola oil, rice bran oil, peanut oil or other high smoke point oil)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (hot or sweet)
- Lime wedges
- Hot sauce
- Corn tortillas
- Finely shredded cabbage
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Chopped avocado
- Lime wedges
- Make the marinade: Whisk together the lime juice, rum, soy sauce, and sugar in a bowl until sugar has dissolved.
- Marinate the chicken: Add the chicken to the marinade and let marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature (can marinate longer chilled, but allow to come to room temp for 30 minutes before cooking).
- Heat the oil for frying: Pour enough oil in a skillet so that it comes up the sides at least a half an inch. Heat oil on medium high until it is shimmering, and a little pinch of flour sizzles when you drop it in the pan.
- Dredge the chicken: While the oil is heating, whisk together the flour, paprika, and salt in a bowl. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture and move to a plate.
- Fry the chicken in batches (about 3), about 3 minutes on each side, until deep golden brown and the chicken is cooked through. (If the chicken is browning too quickly, reduce the heat a bit). Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil.
You may also like
Sesame Chicken Fingers with Spicy Orange Dipping Sauce Chicken fingers, tenders marinated in buttermilk, breaded with panko and sesame seeds, baked, served with spicy orange sauce Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup BEST homemade chicken noodle soup! Made from scratch, light and nourishing. All the goodness from the chicken in one pot of soup. Circassian Chicken Salad Circassian Chicken Salad is a classic mayo-free chicken salad with a creamy walnut sauce and paprika, garlic, green onions, and parsley. Chicken Marinara Chicken pieces coated with Parmesan and bread crumbs, fried and covered with a tomato basil marinara sauce, and topped with melted Mozzarella.