- 2-3 lbs of lamb shoulder stew meat, cut into 1½-inch cubes
- Olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 dry pasilla chiles, chopped, stems and most seeds removed
- 1 Tbsp hot Hungarian paprika*
- 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of ground cardamon
- 1½ cups chicken stock (use gluten-free stock for gluten-free version)
- 14 oz of canned whole tomatoes, put through a food mill, or puréed
- 8-10 sprigs fresh flat leaf parsley
- 4-5 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup raisins
- Salt and pepper
- Sear the lamb on all sides: Pat the lamb dry with a paper towel. Drying the lamb this way first will help the lamb pieces brown. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large, heavy, high-sided pot, such as a Dutch oven, over medium high heat. When the pot is hot, add the lamb pieces in batches, being careful not to crowd them. Cook, turning as needed so that the lamb pieces brown evenly on all sides, for 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Sauté onions, peppers, chiles, garlic: Return the pot to medium-high heat. Add the onions, dried peppers and red bell peppers and stir to coat with the oil in the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Make a bouquet garni with parsley, thyme, bay leaf: Make a bouquet garni by placing the parsley, thyme and bay leaf in the center of a doubled over cheesecloth square. Gather the ends and secure with kitchen string.
- Add spices, tomatoes, lamb, stock, raisins, herbs, simmer and cook: Stir in the paprika, cumin, and cardamom and cook for a minute. Add the puréed (or cooked tomatoes put through a food mill) tomatoes, lamb, chicken stock, raisins and bouquet garni. Bring to a boil over high heat, decrease heat to low. Cook, partially covered, for about 3 hours, or until lamb is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over couscous or rice (gluten-free option).
You may also like
Spicy Lamb Stew Spicy lamb stew, lamb shoulder slow cooked in white wine with onions, garlic, bell peppers, pasilla chiles, paprika, cumin, tomatoes, raisins, and herbs. Irish Lamb Stew with Bacon Irish lamb stew recipe made with lamb shoulder chops, bacon, potatoes, turnip, carrots, onion and barley. Slow cooked until fork tender. Lamb Curry Lamb curry recipe, lamb shanks and shoulders braised in curry sauce with potatoes, apples, raisins, and lemon. Serve with chutney, yogurt, and rice. Basque Lamb Stew Marinated, slow-cooked, lamb stew with lamb shoulder, garlic, rosemary, onion, paprika, roasted bell peppers, tomato, parsley, red wine, and chicken stock.