- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons minced, peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Small pinch of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt plus more to taste
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (15 oz) cans 100 percent pumpkin or 3 1/2 cups of chopped roasted pumpkin purée*
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Yogurt (for garnish)
- Toasted pumpkin seeds (for garnish)
- Sauté onions in butter, add garlic, ginger, spices: Melt butter in a large (5 to 6 quart), thick-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until softened, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the minced garlic and ginger, cook another minute. Add the curry powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and salt. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add stock, bay leaves, and pumpkin purée: Add the chicken stock and the bay leaves. Add the pumpkin purée and the water. Stir to combine. If the soup is too thick for your taste, add more stock or water to thin it. Increase heat to high. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Purée soup: Remove bay leaves. Use an immersion blender to purée the soup.
- Stir in cream: Right before serving, stir in the cream. Add black pepper and adjust seasonings to taste. Add more salt if necessary. Drizzle with plain yogurt that has been thinned with a little water and sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds to serve.
You may also like
Chiffon Pumpkin Pie A truly special chiffon pumpkin pie with a light pudding-like pumpkin filling and a gingersnap cookie crust. Pumpkin Bars with Streusel Topping Pumpkin bars with a cheesecake-like filling and a crunchy streusel topping. Makes the perfect fall or Thanksgiving dessert! Pumpkin Gingerbread Perfect for the holidays, richly flavored pumpkin gingerbread made with pumpkin purée, flour, butter, ginger, molasses, brown sugar, and lots of spices. Pumpkin Waffles Hearty pumpkin waffles made with pumpkin purée, pumpkin pie spices, flour, egg, and buttermilk.