- 1 ounce pitted green olives (about 10 medium sized), roughly chopped or sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 green onion or shallot, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon capers
- Olive oil
- 1 large bunch of Swiss chard, rinsed and patted dry
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 (9-inch diameter) pita breads, cut like a pie into triangles
- Olive oil for drizzling on to the pita bread
- Mix together the olives, rosemary, green onion, and capers with a tablespoon of olive oil and let sit while you prep the chard.
- Use a knife to cut along the edges of the main stem of each leaf of chard, remove the stems. Cut the stems into 1/2-inch slices and set aside. Cut the leaves separately into 1-inch thick crosswise ribbons. Keep the leaves and the stems separate as you will be cooking them separately.
- Heat a large, stick-free sauté pan on medium high heat. Coat the bottom of the pan with about a tablespoon of olive oil, just enough to coat. When the oil is hot, add the chard stems. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring often, until they begin to soften. Then stir in the olive mixture. Cook for a minute more, then add the chopped chard leaves to the pan. Use tongs or two large spoons to toss the chard leaves in with the rest of the mixture, so that the chard gets coated with olive oil.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Let cook a few minutes, lift the cover every once in a while to turn the leaves over in the pan. Once the chard has all wilted, remove from heat. Sprinkle with black pepper to taste.
You may also like
Kale Salad with Balsamic, Pine Nuts, and Parmesan Kale salad with Tuscan kale, toasted pine nuts, balsamic, and grated Parmesan. Broccoli Rabe with Caramelized Onions Broccoli rabe, blanched first to take the edge off the bitterness, then sautéed with caramelized onions, garlic, and a dash of chili pepper. Shell Pasta with Sausage and Greens Shell pasta with sausage and greens, made with shell pasta, Italian sausage, and kale or broccoli rabe. Swiss Chard Tzatziki (Yogurt Dip) Delicious tzatziki yogurt dip with Swiss chard, mint, olive oil, lemon, and garlic. Great with pita chips!