- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp sweet (not hot) paprika
- 1 cup plain yogurt (can sub buttermilk)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole chicken legs (drumsticks and thighs), or its equivalent, skinless, bone-in
- 10 to 12 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup tomatillo salsa verde, homemade or store-bought
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced thin
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Lime wedges
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- Heat the spices in oil: Heat the oil in a small pan over medium heat, then cook the coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, garam masala and paprika, stirring often, until fragrant (approximately 2-3 minutes). Let cool completely.
- Whisk into yogurt, add lemon juice, garlic, salt, ginger: Whisk in the cooled spice-oil mixture into the yogurt, then mix in the lemon juice, garlic, salt and ginger.
- Cut deep slashes into chicken, coat with marinade, chill: Cut deep slashes (to the bone) in 3-4 places on the leg/thigh pieces. Just make 2-3 cuts if you are using separate drumsticks and thighs. Coat the chicken in the marinade, cover and chill for at least an hour (preferably 6 hours), no more than 8 hours.
- Prepare grill: Prepare your grill so that one side is quite hot over direct heat, the other side cooler, not over direct heat. If using charcoal, leave one side of the grill without coals, so you have a hot side and a cooler side. If you are using a gas grill, just turn on one-half of the burners. Use tongs to wipe the grill grates with a paper towel soaked in vegetable oil.
- Shake off excess marinade, place chicken on hot side of grill: Take the chicken out of the marinade and shake off the excess. You want the chicken coated, but not gloppy. Put the chicken pieces on the hot side of the grill and cover. Cook 2-3 minutes before checking. Turn the chicken so it is brown (even a little bit charred) on all sides
- Move to cool side of grill, cover and cook: Move chicken to the cool side of the grill. Cover and cook for at least 20 minutes, up to 40 minutes (or longer) depending on the size of the chicken and the temperature of the grill. The chicken is done when its juices run clear. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes before serving. It’s also great at room temperature or even cold the next day. Serve with naan, and Indian flatbread, or with Indian style rice, with yogurt-based raita on the side.
You may also like
Spaghetti with Tomatoes, Bacon, and Eggs Spaghetti with Tomatoes, Bacon, and Eggs—the ultimate comfort food! Ready in the time it takes to cook the spaghetti. Such a perfect combination, so easy for a weeknight dinner. EASY Italian Sausage Spaghetti Quick and easy spaghetti recipe with Italian sausage. The tomato-based sauce gets its seasoning from the sweet and spicy sausages. Our favorite way of serving spaghetti. Pan Simmered Pacific Black Cod Pacific black cod (sable fish) cooked in a broth of sake, rice vinegar, soy sauce and oil, delicious! Creamy Cheesy Turkey Enchiladas Creamy cheesy turkey enchiladas! Leftover turkey, sweet potatoes, cream cheese rolled into flour tortillas, smothered with creamy salsa verde sauce. So good!