- 3/4 cup soy sauce* (or mix tamari** and water in equal proportions to make 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup sake
- 3/4 cup mirin
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- A 1-inch piece of ginger, grated fine
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds total (set out for 30 minutes to come to room temp)
- 2-3 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Gently simmer chicken in sauce made with sake, mirin, soy sauce, sugar, ginger: Mix the grated ginger, sugar, soy sauce, sake and mirin in a pot and bring to a boil. Add the chicken breasts, return to a simmer, then lower the heat to the lowest possible setting (warm if you can), on your smallest burner, and cover. The idea is to cook the chicken as gently as possible, below a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes. If you are working with somewhat large chicken breasts, you may need to cook them longer, or cut them in half before cooking.
- Toast sesame seeds: While the chicken is poaching, toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan until they begin to brown. Move to a small bowl and set aside.
- Set aside chicken, cover with foil: Remove the chicken breasts from the teriyaki sauce, set on a plate and wrap with foil.
- Reduce sauce: Bring the sauce back to a boil and boil vigorously until the sauce is reduced to a syrup, about 8-10 minutes. Keep an eye on the sauce, stirring it occasionally.
- Slice chicken, cover with sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve: To serve, slice the chicken breasts, cover with the teriyaki sauce and sprinkle sesame seeds on them. Serve with plain white rice.
You may also like
Chicken Parmesan Classic Chicken Parm! Chicken cutlets, breaded and fried, smothered with tomato sauce, covered with Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, and baked until the cheese is bubbly and melts into every nook and cranny. Sesame Chicken Fingers with Spicy Orange Dipping Sauce Chicken fingers, tenders marinated in buttermilk, breaded with panko and sesame seeds, baked, served with spicy orange sauce Buffalo Chicken Dip Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip! Perfect for a Game Day party or tailgate. 30 minutes. Grilled Chicken with Tomato Tarragon Sauce Simple and easy, grilled chicken recipe, topped with a tomato tarragon sauce.