- 3/4 cup soy sauce* (or mix tamari** and water in equal proportions to make 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup sake
- 3/4 cup mirin
- 4 Tbsp sugar
- A 1-inch piece of ginger, grated fine
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds total (set out for 30 minutes to come to room temp)
- 2-3 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Gently simmer chicken in sauce made with sake, mirin, soy sauce, sugar, ginger: Mix the grated ginger, sugar, soy sauce, sake and mirin in a pot and bring to a boil. Add the chicken breasts, return to a simmer, then lower the heat to the lowest possible setting (warm if you can), on your smallest burner, and cover. The idea is to cook the chicken as gently as possible, below a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes. If you are working with somewhat large chicken breasts, you may need to cook them longer, or cut them in half before cooking.
- Toast sesame seeds: While the chicken is poaching, toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan until they begin to brown. Move to a small bowl and set aside.
- Set aside chicken, cover with foil: Remove the chicken breasts from the teriyaki sauce, set on a plate and wrap with foil.
- Reduce sauce: Bring the sauce back to a boil and boil vigorously until the sauce is reduced to a syrup, about 8-10 minutes. Keep an eye on the sauce, stirring it occasionally.
- Slice chicken, cover with sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve: To serve, slice the chicken breasts, cover with the teriyaki sauce and sprinkle sesame seeds on them. Serve with plain white rice.
You may also like
Parmesan Chicken BEST Parmesan Chicken recipe ever! Chicken parts dipped in melted butter, dredged in bread crumbs and Parmesan, and baked until crisp. Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken Skinless boneless chicken breasts marinated with lime and cilantro and grilled. Creamy Dijon Mustard Chicken Creamy Dijon mustard chicken! Boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked in a creamy Dijon mustard sauce with shallots. 1-pot, EASY! Chicken Tikka Masala Chicken Tikka Masala! Very EASY to make on the stovetop. Just like take-out! Ready in 30 minutes, plus marinating time.