- 1/4 pound sliced bacon
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoons dry thyme)
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar (can sub apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook and crumble the bacon: Cook the bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until browned and crisp. Remove bacon and place on paper towels to soak up excess fat. Crumble up the bacon and set aside.
- Sauté the onions: Remove all but a tablespoon of the bacon drippings from the pot. Add the chopped onions and cook on medium high heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: Sprinkle the onions with dry mustard and thyme. Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, molasses, bay leaf, beans, Tabasco, and water. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and bake: Cover the pot and put into a 350°F oven. Bake for 1 hour, checking every 15 minutes to stir and add more water if needed. Stir in the bacon the last 15 minutes of cooking. Alternatively, cook in a slow cooker 4 hours on high, or 8 on low. Discard bay leaf before serving.
You may also like
Stove-top Baked Beans A richly flavored stove top baked bean recipe combining molasses, bacon, ketchup and vinegar - a great addition to hot dogs too. Slow Cooked Boston Baked Beans Slow cooked crockpot Boston Baked Beans! Loads of molasses flavor. Great with hot dogs or franks! Three Bean Baked Beans EASY baked beans recipe with kidney, black, and cannellini beans, baked with bacon in a molasses-based sauce Cowboy Beans Slow-cooked cowboy beans with pinto beans, ham hocks, barbecue sauce, and coffee. Great accompaniment to a summer barbecue.