- 1/4 pound sliced bacon
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoons dry thyme)
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar (can sub apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook and crumble the bacon: Cook the bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until browned and crisp. Remove bacon and place on paper towels to soak up excess fat. Crumble up the bacon and set aside.
- Sauté the onions: Remove all but a tablespoon of the bacon drippings from the pot. Add the chopped onions and cook on medium high heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: Sprinkle the onions with dry mustard and thyme. Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, molasses, bay leaf, beans, Tabasco, and water. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and bake: Cover the pot and put into a 350°F oven. Bake for 1 hour, checking every 15 minutes to stir and add more water if needed. Stir in the bacon the last 15 minutes of cooking. Alternatively, cook in a slow cooker 4 hours on high, or 8 on low. Discard bay leaf before serving.
You may also like
Three Bean Baked Beans EASY baked beans recipe with kidney, black, and cannellini beans, baked with bacon in a molasses-based sauce Cowboy Beans Slow-cooked cowboy beans with pinto beans, ham hocks, barbecue sauce, and coffee. Great accompaniment to a summer barbecue. Stove-top Baked Beans A richly flavored stove top baked bean recipe combining molasses, bacon, ketchup and vinegar - a great addition to hot dogs too. Slow Cooked Boston Baked Beans Slow cooked crockpot Boston Baked Beans! Loads of molasses flavor. Great with hot dogs or franks!