- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp chili powder (or up to 4 Tbsp if you like it spicier)
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 3 15-ounce cans crushed tomatoes (fire roasted if you can get it)
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup of turkey stock or chicken stock
- Two 15 oz cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp sea salt, plus more if desired to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 to 4 cups of shredded, cooked turkey meat
- 1 to 3 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- Shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green or red onion, sour cream for optional garnish.
If cooking dry beans:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- Sauté the onions, peppers, garlic, and spices: In a large, 8-quart, thick-bottom pot, heat the olive oil on medium high heat. Add the onions and green peppers and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin, and cook, stirring, for a minute or two more. Add a bit more olive oil if needed.
- Add tomatoes, beans, stock, cooked turkey: Add tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, kidney beans, oregano, salt, pepper, and cooked turkey meat. Bring mixture to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, for an hour.
- Add salt: Salt to taste. Add sugar to taste if needed to balance the acidity of the tomatoes. The chili may be made in advance and chilled for 2 days, or frozen for 2 months.
- Serve with toppings: Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped red onion, and or sour cream. Serve alone, over rice, or with cornbread.
You may also like
Spicy Vegetarian Chili Vegetarian chili with eggplant, plum tomatoes, onion, garlic, zucchini, bell peppers, jalapeños, white beans, kidney beans, and cilantro. White Chili EASY white chili! With white beans, chicken, garlic, onions, green chiles, and Monterey jack cheese. Chili Con Carne Chili con Carne! With chunks of chuck roast, browned in bacon fat and cooked with red kidney beans, red chili and chipotle chili, onion, garlic, jalapeños, tomatoes, and lime juice. Top with grated cheddar and chopped red onion. So GOOD! Turkey Chili (with Leftover Turkey) Great for turkey leftovers! This turkey chili recipe uses shredded turkey meat, kidney beans, onion, garlic, tomatoes and chili.