- 1/2 lb white beans, soaked overnight in water, drained OR 2 15-ounce cans white beans, drained
- 3 cups turkey stock
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onions, chopped (divided)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 jalapeño or serrano pepper, stem and most seeds removed, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 4-ounce cans chopped green chilies
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey
- Salt to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon)
- 1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup (loose) chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and chopped (or guacamole)
- Chopped tomatoes or salsa
- Corn tortilla chips and/or fresh warmed flour tortillas
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless turkey thighs**
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch of ground cloves
- a If using canned beans. Combine the beans and the turkey stock in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer.
- b If using dry beans. Combine soaked and drained beans, turkey stock, and half the onions in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are very soft, 1 to 3 hours or more. (Depending on the type of white beans you are using. Cannelli beans are tender and tend to cook rather quickly. Navy beans take longer.) Add additional water (or watered-down stock), if necessary.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat, cook chopped jalapeno (if using) and (remaining) onions in oil until tender. Add the minced garlic and cook a minute more. Add green chilies and seasonings and mix thoroughly. Add the jalapeno onion mixture to the stock and beans. Add the turkey and salt to taste, and simmer for 10 minutes or more (up to an hour) until the beans are thoroughly soft and the stew has thickened.
- Serve topped with grated cheese. Garnish with cilantro, chopped fresh tomato, salsa, chopped green onions, and/or avocados. Serve with fresh warmed flour tortillas or tortilla chips.
You may also like
Lentil Stew with Sausage Warm and hearty lentil stew with a bacon, onion, carrot, celery base, and Italian sausage and parsley. Broccoli, Chicken, and Almond Sauté Broccoli, first blanched, then sautéed briefly with sliced grilled chicken, toasted almonds, sesame oil, and red chile flakes. Turkey Chili (with Leftover Turkey) Great for turkey leftovers! This turkey chili recipe uses shredded turkey meat, kidney beans, onion, garlic, tomatoes and chili. Bouillabaisse A classic French shellfish and fish stew recipe, prepared with the freshest possible seafood, caught and served the same day. Served with a spicy sauce rouille.