- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter or rendered beef fat
- 2 pounds of veal, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups sliced onions, sliced root to tip, 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes, or chopped fresh ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup full-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds, chopped or crushed in a mortar with pestle
- 2 28-30 ounce jars sauerkraut (we recommend Bubbies, in the refrigerated section of the grocery store)
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- Heat butter or beef fat in a large sauté pan on medium high heat. Pat dry the cubed veal. Sprinkle with salt and add to pan. Working in batches, sauté the meat until the meat is just beginning to brown.
- Add the onions to the pan with the veal, cook for another 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add a teaspoon of salt, a half teaspoon of black pepper, and the tomatoes. Add enough water to just barely cover the meat, about 2 cups or so, depending on the size and shape of your pan.
- Increase the heat to bring the mixture to a simmer, then lower the heat to maintain a low simmer, uncovered. Cook until the meat is almost cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the veal from the pan to a bowl to temporarily set aside. Increase the heat to high and let the liquid boil until it is reduced by half. Lower the heat to medium. Add the meat back to the pan.
- Add the sour cream, paprika, and crushed caraway seeds, and simmer uncovered for another 20 minutes.
- Heat the sauerkraut in a medium pot on medium heat until hot. To serve, strain the sauerkraut. Place the sauerkraut in a serving dish and top with the goulash.
You may also like
Carbonnade Beef and Beer Stew Carbonnade Belgian beef stew recipe, with beef, onions, and Belgian ale, and seasoned with bay and thyme. Quick Beef Stew with Mushrooms and White Beans Beef stew, quickly prepared with top sirloin steak, white beans, carrots, onions, tomatoes, and mushrooms. Irish Beef Stew Beef stew recipe made with beef, garlic, stock, Irish Guinness beer, red wine, potatoes, carrots, and onions. An excellent, hearty stew. Beef and Barley Stew with Mushrooms Hearty beef and barley stew with mushrooms and root vegetables. Perfect cold weather stew!