- 2 cups wild rice
- 3/4 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh sage, minced
- 4 cups bread croutons
- 2 cups chicken, vegetable or turkey stock
For the filling:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced shallots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 1/4 pounds mushrooms, diced (I used a mix of creminis and wild mushrooms),
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped mixed herbs (parsley, chives, and chervil work beautifully here)
- Cook the wild rice: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, then add the wild rice. Cover, turn the heat to low and simmer until the rice is tender, about 25 minutes or so.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Sauté the mushrooms, add celery, onion: As the rice is cooking, heat a large sauté pan on high for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and shake the pan a little so they don't stick. Dry sauté the mushrooms, stirring often, until the release their water. When most of the water has burned off, sprinkle salt over the mushrooms, add 3 Tbsp of the butter, onion and celery and toss to combine. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add cooked rice, sage, croutons, dried cranberries, walnuts, salt: Drain the rice when it is tender (most of the grains will have split by then) and add the rice to the sauté pan. Turn off the heat and add the sage, croutons, dried cranberries and walnuts. Sprinkle a little more salt over everything. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken stock, butter then bake: Put the dressing into a large, oven-proof pot with a lid and dot with the remaining butter. Add the chicken stock, cover and bake for 45 minutes. If you want, take the cover off for the last 15 minutes to brown the top.
You may also like
Turkey Mushroom Risotto An Italian-inspired rice dish using leftover turkey, mushrooms, sage and a little fresh goat cheese. Basmati Rice Salad with Peas, Mint, and Lemon Minty, lemony rice salad made with basmati rice, peas, mint, lemon, and raisins. Rice Pilaf with Mushrooms and Pine Nuts Rice pilaf, rice browned first then cooked in stock with mushrooms, onions, and toasted pine nuts. Okra Pilaf A South Carolina okra pilaf with okra, rice, bacon and green bell pepper. Also called Limpin' Susan.